According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 4,000 fires happen each Thanksgiving Day, usual
Never leave your food unattended while frying or grilling.
Use a timer and occasionally check what you’re cooking.
Never use a glass casserole or lid on the stove or burner, as it may explode when overheated.
Keep a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen, and know how to use it, but remember that…
Grease fires need to be treated differently than non-grease fires. Do not use water; turn off the heat; do not move the pan as you could splatter yourself; cover the pan with a metal lid to smother the fire; if the fire is small, baking soda if effective; if you have a CLASS B dry chemical extinguisher (which is different than your standard extinguishers), it should be used only as a last resort since it will contaminate your kitchen.
If you’re deep frying your bird, keep the fryer outside, away from walls and free from moisture.
Make sure your smoke alarms are connected and in working order.
After the party, walk around the home and check that candles and fireplaces are extinguished, unnecessary appliances are turned off, and no potential hazards (leftovers, sharp/flammable objects) are in reach of your kids or pets.
The Del Rey Residents Association wishes you and your loved ones a very Happy Thanksgiving.